Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Everybody lies

The title is true: Everybody lies. The question is, how potentially harmful (and/or outright harmful, possibly deadly) are the lies we are telling not only to ourselves, but especially others?
Lies don't stop on a personal level. They continue straight into aspects of people's lives where they shouldn't be: The lie I'm currently dealing with, but have dealt with before, is real estate.
The agent who sold Jack and I this house told a huge lie, and it cost the mortgage company a brand new roof. Play with someone who has been around and knows what he's doing, as well as what he's talking about, and the lies will eventually backfire. That lie cost a little more than $18,000.00. I hope the lie was worth it!
For those who live in the United States: The son of this real estate agent shot and killed a kid who was screwing his wife, and his wife was a teacher here in Knoxville. If you recall any history over the past 2 years, you'll know who I'm talking about. Furthermore, don't think for a second that the son owned that shotgun because Jack and I were told about that exact same gun when we were in negotiations over this house. I'll leave it at that.
The most recent example I have dealt with, in the realm of lies, is complete deception. Once again, it involves a real estate company. While it certainly is their job to advertise a home from its best angle, it is NOT their job to get people to drive from as far as 80 miles away (one couple did) only to discover that the entire place still has the original designs and workings in the bathrooms (1960s and UGLY!!), the walls are 1970s wafer thin panelling which is rotten in a few places, and no one could give a guarantee when the carpet layers would come in and do their job, or what color it was, etc.
So, this particular deceptive lie cost people time off of work, time from packing, money for gas (bad timing for that, especially me!), and probably cost them plenty of potential clients in the future. Lie to a customer and that customer is likely to tell 10 people, and so forth. The adage isn't as concrete as it used to be, but still enough to be effective....or should I say affective?
I looked at 2 other places as well, and both were not even close to what was advertised. These people make a crackerbox sound like a palace...and I didn't even have to go inside one of them. The other had pieces of siding that were missing, shades of color that haven't been in vogue since the early 70s and carpet that was even older. The windows had paint on them, etc. Gee...I wonder why they aren't being rented?
Also, it's not hard to figure out when a homeowner (who no longer resides in the home) ran out of money while upgrading the interior. You'd have to be there (or maybe work in the field that I used to) in order for those signs to light up on their own. It's actually sad. But if you're going to rent a home to someone, be honest about what is what.
Honesty is supposedly the best policy, but people are so afraid that if they tell the truth, no one will purchase or rent from them. It's actually a fallacy in logic, but I can't tell people what to do.
So today, I go to look at yet another home. I sincerely hope this will be the one, because time is drawing down. This one does have the space I'm looking for, and the design as a whole is nice enough to enhance as I wish.
Let's hope there are no pitfalls. As long as it matches what's advertised and my application indeed proves that I'm not guilty of identity theft, I should get it. Let's hope so. I did use the virtual tour tool, and I very much like what I see.
Again lets hope for the best, all the while keeping one thing very clear: "Everybody lies"


No comments:

Post a Comment