Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March 16, 2011: It's getting real in here.

This is one of the days in the job of packing that I typically wouldn't discuss. In fact, I haven't discussed it with anyone until now. I didn't realize that there would be anything to discuss until today, when a very clear pattern from the past came back and reminded me that I need to speak up instead of holding it in and allowing it to boil over, which would render me an emotional mess.
As of today, the one clear thing I have discovered is that once I begin packing everything in the dining room, the whole notion of moving is at its peak of being most real...not the most urgent, but indeed the most real.
If there is one thing Jack and I both were always proud of, it's how we decorated the dining room. The dining room was always important to us because it's the one place where we were at an intimate point with company, we were able to comfort them with what we brought from the kitchen, and the company always enjoyed looking at what we placed in the break front, china cabinet and curio cabinet (which is taller than me, and contains 5 glass shelves along with a mirrored shelf on the bottom, plus the entire back is mirrored).
We always placed the most pride in the dining room because that's where he and I seemed to always shine the most. We enjoyed giving happiness to others by way of food ranging from simple to complex, conversation which could involve almost anything, and we all left the table in a good mood. There was never, not one single time, a situation in our dining room that turned bad or ugly. It simply didn't. This was our stronghold and we were damn proud of it.
As the survivor of this relationship, I'm still VERY proud of that accomplishment and always will be. If nothing else in my home is meant to leave a lasting impression, PLEASE let what comes out of that kitchen (wherever I may live) and into the dining room be something that my guests will remember.
The photo, below, is one that I will always cherish. These dear people came to me when I had no idea how much I needed the support. They comforted me more than I can say, and the photo is taken in the dining room. For this dining room, it was 'the last supper' to be had in there. I don't know if it seems important to them, but it means the world to me.
In this photo....I don't know who else can see it (I certainly can)...but I was not far away from going completely out of my skull. They saved me. I wonder if they knew that before I posted this. Anyway....
Behind us is part of the curio cabinet. You can see a few of the Gorham plates and Hummingbird eggs, now packed away for yet another journey I wish I didn't have to make.
No doubt, it's getting real in here....


No comments:

Post a Comment