Monday, March 14, 2011

The last week on Wedgewood Drive: Thanks for the memories!

Here it is....the week of reckoning. Last week at the location of 1000 Wedgewood Drive.
A rental house MUST be obtained within the next 3 days (tops), I MUST finish packing everything I intend to take with me (since I don't trust anyone to pack, thanks to Bekins...that should've been included in the Westbound Part 2 post, really), and I MUST have a group of people hired to move the estate.
Between now and when it happens, I have 3 in-house meals left: Sirloin and chunky vegetable marinara over Angel Hair, Veggie Burritos, and Vegetable Soup which will be accompanied by a small pan of cornbread and I will eat entirely too much of it in one sitting. From there, everything gets washed and dried, then packed up for the move.
I have WAY too much cookware, but at least I'm prepared for just about anything and probably an endless number of people. Why a large number of people? Because they are ALL worth it.
Perhaps the best memory I get to keep by way of this house is when Jack and I made thanksgiving dinner for about 18 people. It was a wonderful experience to have just friends over and not have to deal with such high expectations, which actually made for an even better result on cooking.
We have 2 dining room tables, but only one was set up (obviously...it's an older house with an older design). So, the kids decided to grab our picnic table, take it to the basement, and they all used their laps to level the table while sitting on the floor to eat. It was an awesome sight.
They all said they had never enjoyed themselves so much. To this very moment, those kids (now young adults) have no idea how good it felt to hear those words, or heart warming it was to see all of them doing what they wanted, how they wanted to do it, and loved every minute as well as every bite of it all.
We ROCKED that dinner; Turkey, ham, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, candied carrots with dill (the kids loved it, too!), green beans, fried corn, cranberry sauce, yeast rolls, pecan pie and pumpkin pie. Very little was leftover and that's exactly how we wanted it to go.
That afternoon and evening was one for the memory books, but also one where nobody had a camera. Yet, the entire gathering was on less than a day's notice, so images are left to my memory and lucky for me, I have a great one.
Bad habits, bad grammar, bad fashion statements, but such good conversation was had for the adults and laughter from kids echoing through the rooms of this home completed the blessing at one point in time. For just that one day, I'm thankful beyond words. It was a success and everyone was happy.
Indeed, there are and have been very good people in my life. I'm glad to have met all of them, including the ones who left a bad impression...for they all, in whatever way, shape or form, played a part in my outlook on life, which is mostly good (all considered).
I have been quite blessed with mostly good people who simply enjoyed mine and Jack's company. My only wish is to hope that the good ones will always remember things half as well as I do. If that's the case, then they should be smiling every time those memories come to mind.
It's sad that so many of us lose touch with each other, however. Life has a way of throwing a bit of a cruel curveball at us, forcing the adjust and adapt process, often against our wishes. Most of the time, no offense is ever intended. It just happens. People have to lead their lives the way they're persuaded and hopefully, their decisions lead them to greener pastures for whatever reason.
The best of luck to all who entered our lives and are no longer around. Best of love to all who are now a part of my life and I hope you will stick around. I intend to keep my head up, keep moving along and one day, hopefully have you as guests and you can see what it's like to have an enjoyable time similar to what Jack and I had here, all those years ago. My back is in bad shape, my left arm is getting worse, but I wont let that stop me from entertaining guests. It's one of the things I have always loved to do.
In closing: This week will be strange, so it's possible that my blog posts may be a little murky...kind of like this one, but still completely in step with a typical rambling freak.
Stay with me, folks. I may be moving very soon, but as a figure of speech spells out, "I'm not going anywhere."
Keep me in your thoughts and don't forget to vote for this blog (on the right side, directly across from the top of the blog post). Peace and love to all from Paul.

P.S. If you subscribe by email and are only reading it through there, you're missing out on some cool photos and video clips. Come and visit the site, when you get a chance and leave a note.




No comments:

Post a Comment