Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The late 80s: A quick and biased review

The space shuttle exploded, Peter Gabriel came out of nowhere and ruled for at least a year (instead of Phil Collins-Imagine that), geeky pastel colors with cheezy prints and gigantic hair were all the rage within fashion....if we choose to call it that, on came the crack epidemic, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" was entirely too funny (great follow-up movie for those who watched "The Breakfast Club" and loved it), "Act Up" was the group of the day speaking out toward injustices by the Reagan Administration for not giving enough of a damn about HIV/AIDS research (They spawned the phrase "Silence equals death"....and it wasn't until the ultimate silence of Rock Hudson that Reagan suddenly broke his), there were residual arguments among induvidual states on whether or not to recognize Martin Luther King Jr's birthday as a holiday, unemployed auto workers were putting bumper stickers on their cars which said, "3 reasons why I'm out of work: Toyota, Honda and Nissan", faux hippie revivals were everywhere and the real hippies couldn't have been more confused, Grateful Dead began ramping up their tour like never before (thanks to the release of "Touch Of Grey", which sparked a new interest in them), The Eagles had a song which came and went like the title ("In A New York Minute"....glad it went), Michael Jackson couldn't lose for winning, most of us watched without blinking as Baby Jessica was pulled out of the well in Texas (my at the time wife cried....like a baby), Spike Lee put out two movies that were huge crossover hits ("School Daze" and "Do The Right Thing"), Oprah Winfrey did her thing and people threw her onto the pedestal which created the cult that it now is, most everything from the 70s was considered worthless and useless (which to me is VERY frightening), Nintendo came out with a home video game that pretty much buried Atari, average cable networks began stereo broadcasts, Ecstasy (drug) created its own following which also created its own club scene and was eventually broken down by quality or lack thereof in certain demographics (same as every other drug), Pet Shop Boys were considered cool (If you're offended, you'll get over it...puleeezzz!!!), Whitesnake came out of nowhere and kicked ass, a group previously known only on the west coast came out of nowhere and kicked EVERYBODY'S asses (Guns 'N Roses), people still couldn't get enough of The Cosby Show (yuck), GM made the last standard body editions of 4 of its biggest selling 2-door classics (Cutlass, Regal, Grand Prix and Monte Carlo), home computers began having somewhat of an impact and Basic was a state-of-the-art program for them (Took that class in college....yes, I went to college for a bit), one restaurant had a delivery guarantee of "30 minutes or it's free" (which caused several fatal crashes, several lawsuits and ended up becoming "30 minutes or $3 off", which eventually caused more crashes, lawsuits, and the whole slogan was eventually dropped), my father retired after 30 years with Dept Of Defense (and 2 months later, people were allowed to retire up to a year early but with the same damn benefits), I got married as the last act of defiance to my actual 'orientation', the Berlin Wall came down (as people bought fake pieces of it by the ton) and reruns of SCTV (and Laugh-In) made my day, repeatedly, for several years.
If I missed anything, put it in the comments section below. Hey.....you're reading the blog. Why not give some input? I welcome it and I'm sure no one else will complain!


2 comments:

  1. Oh thank you for breaking down the 80's for us. Yes, I can remember upgrading from my atari to Nintendo. I skipped school the day the space shuttle exploded, I will never foget where I was when that happened. I drove a cutlass in the 80's and I used turn Whitesnake up and go as fast as I could across our local causeways. The 80's were also a little scary to live in also. With the threat of nuclear attack seemed to be in most everyone's mind too. Another thing...8 tracks to cassettes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A classmate and I were also skipping on that day (shuttle explosion)....and we were amped on coke. When we got bored with throwing cow patties around, we went back inside his parents house and turned on the tv. By then, the explosion was being shown, repeatedly. I got the coke jitters BIG TIME, and got sick to my stomach for a few days.
    Jack worked for Marshall Space Flight Center (aka NASA) at the time, and the entire property was put on lockdown immediately after the explosion.
    Dad lost many a night's sleep over the cold war because he was knee-deep in the Hawk Missile System. But after U.S.S.R. got into it with Afghanistan, history was thrown into a different direction.
    I still have my 8-tracks and cassettes. I'm such a packrat. LOL!

    ReplyDelete