Sunday, February 6, 2011

Stuporbowl Sunday

I'm not interested in watching professional sports. I have several reasons, most of which are principled.

We Americans have literally built temples around, and legal loopholes for these athletes who makes millions per year. I can think of plenty who deserve to have temples built around them (but probably wouldn't want one), though no one deserves the legal loopholes.
Nurses, teachers, law enforcement, firemen, EMT/EMS, even janitors deserve better than what athletes are paid, and that's without going into the realm of endorsements. The ones I just mentioned are not only wearing themselves out, mentally and physically, but do it 10 times harder (or more) than any athlete I can think of....and that includes janitors. Some risk their lives every minute they're on the clock. Can we say the same for an athlete?

These athletes pull all kinds of stunts which they know are wrong, barely receive a slap on the wrist (when we would be in jail) and suddenly, the general sports fan is in an uproar over a problem THEY designed. Of course, at the time, the general sports fan doesn't consider that. And no, I'm not saying every person who is interested in sports hopes athletes get away with murder, attempted murder, rape, robbery, drug deals which end up with someone getting shot or killed, and the like. I AM saying, however, that those are symptoms of what is a larger problem of people treating athletes as if they're better, as if they should only receive slaps on the wrist for doing what they know is wrong, multi million dollar endorsement contracts (when in fact the product sells itself just fine without them, if the product is any good), and possibly my biggest complaint of all, medical preferential treatment.

When an athlete is injured, SUDDELNLY a CT-Scan or X-Ray or MRI can be had, immediately (I know one hospital in my city who has certain departments especially for athletes because a few of those machines were used on Jack during off-season, so don't try telling me they don't exist when I've seen them with my own two eyes).
Then, if that's not bullshit enough, the results of a CT or MRI can be had within an hour, when we peasants have to wait several days or weeks, and show up at a doctor's office just to get the results of ours.

By the way, does an athlete have to worry about whether or not a surgeon has a good 'track record' (should one be required)? Rhetorical statement in the form of a question. No need to answer.
When an athlete ends up with TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury), while I do think that's sad, I have to keep in mind that facemasks were placed on helmets in the 1970s so the amount of brutality within contact could and would increase...and did it ever.
The ones who now suffer from and live with the daily problems caused by TBI are lucky to receive a 5 minute segment on Sanjay Gupta's weekend program. These 'lackluster' men are no longer the glamorous, brutal beasts they once were, so toss them aside. Their usage is done. Yes, most of us are responsible for creating this disposable and expendable human environment, and it saddens me as well as angers me. This is NOT who children should aspire to be. You're entitled to a different view, and you know where the comments section is located if I need to be enlightened on anything, or if you simply want to disagree.

Last point: Professional sports are not a sport. Let's call it what it really is; A business.

If you're watching the Superbowl, enjoy it. Hate to rain on your parade, but this post is exactly how I feel about it. I'm not bitter or mean. I'm realistic and I'm telling it like it is, according to my own unworthy freak view and opinion.

"You drank beer, you played golf and you watched football-WE EVOLVED!!" ~ Frank Zappa



No comments:

Post a Comment