Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sorry and even more sorry

I will put this as nicely as possible, because too many people take postings like this way too personally, regardless of how it's expressed. If this post hurts your feelings, tough shit and you'll get over it.
Yesterday and today brought about some bad, then some worse...and for a change, I'm not talking about myself.
It seems that a form of pond scum named Harvey Updyke was stupid enough to poison 2 trees at Toomers Corner, located around Auburn University. Incase anyone reading this blog lives under a rock, Auburn won the NCAA college football championship, last month.
Having the utter stupidity to do that, he deserves whatever is coming to him and I fully believe that. I also believe that he will probably get much more, considering the subject matter (no, not the trees...football).
There was a time when I more than enjoyed watching a good game and occasionally, in the future, I might. But, after what I saw today, I will think twice about it because I wont be able to get certain images out of my mind when trying to consider watching a game.
You see, I'm amazed how people who can't wait to throw around slurs such as 'Tree Hugger' (not sarcastically, either) are now suddenly calling themselves one and daring others to not only disagree, but to join them in calling themselves one. That's ridiculous.
Someone also posted the profile page of Mr Updyke earlier, today. I wasn't bothered by that, because it IS Facebook we're talking about and everyone's profile does have the ability, in the left column, under your list of friends, to click on a link that says, "Share profile". So no....that's not what crept up my crack.
When I saw that someone posted the home address and home telephone number of Mr Updyke and I happened to remember that in his profile photo he was holding an infant (which is probably his grandson, but either way it's someone else's child), I came unglued.
Incase anyone who is reading this happened to post that man's address and phone number, while the photo of him and that baby was up, I want you to think for a minute: That is someone's child, a completely innocent child who had nothing to do with any of this, and isn't old enough to even do harm to his/herself and yet, you posted that personal info out of such haste and disregard, you didn't care about the fact that someone who is even crazier than Mr Updyke could easily show up at his home, or at the home where that baby is, and begin shooting. And if that baby dies, will you bother to question whether or not you share some responsibility?
What about if you know someone who posted that personal info? Did you 'flag' it, just to show a tad bit of personal responsibility, yourself?
Hey folks, I'm not a parent. But I sure did put my hands deep into raising a child and I can tell you this much: Even at 30 years old, if someone tried to put a hand on my nephew in front of me, I would probably beat that person out of his mind just because I actually get the parental instinct part of it.
Being a parent isn't required, when it comes to wanting to protect children from the stupid shit that so-called adults do. And for those who posted that personal info: If that baby is hurt in any way, and the information goes public, I hope like hell the ones who posted that will lose many a night's sleep over it.
There comes a time to drop your teen spirit, grow up, and realize what's REALLY important here....and it AINT about a fucking inflatable piece of pigskin. But don't take my word for it. Just listen to some of the potential idiots who are more than capable of hurting a kid in anger and not care until it's too late.
Listen closely. I hope it sticks.
Incase you've seen this before, don't get any ideas. It's the first one I happened to remember and has nothing to do with one team or the other. But, do you still think this video is funny? Imagine it being an Auburn fan who ends up with the blood of an infant on his hands. Tell me: Do you still think it's funny?


No comments:

Post a Comment